Saturday, January 10, 2009

SPECIAL NEEDS

I want to talk about alittle about Microcephaly because this is something Our 9 yr old is diagnosed wtih.When we heard about a little boy who was in need of a home in an orphanage in India We asked for more information .At first we were told this child was blind and deaf could not walk nor talk .we didnt care once we seen his picture we were HOOKED.Then we were given a medical file.We were not sure what we were getting into.It said...child blind, and deaf ,child is micrcephalic, developmentally delayed ,possible autism.
Ok can deal with blind and deaf and can deal with delays and autism but what in the world is MICROCEPHALY.I decided to do some reasearch and what i read on line scared the hell out of me.It said that a child who has Micro ... iminate death...I cried and cried when i read this.I decided this wasnt enough so i called and talked to 3 pediatricians and they all told us not to adopt him.I was shocked and cried and prayed.My heart was saying dont listen to them bring him home and my brain was saying leave him there he is too much care.
My heart won that battle..I joined a group for parents with children who have Micrcophaly and they eased my fears they were living proof that what you read on line should be taken with a grain of salt.Then i met a pediatrician and was talking to him while we were waiting to bring our son home from India.This pediatrician was MICROCEPHALIC...i was amazed with him and he explained alot to me and he said...Its simply a small head thats what micro is.Some have delays and some dont.I am living proof of a person with Micro.Yes he was.
When we got our son home we were surprised to see our child was walking.We were told he couldnt walk.deaf?NOPE not a bit he hears perfectly fine.Blind?Yes he is legally can see about 6 inches and does everything any other little boy does.Autistic...You bet has come out of his shell and is doing so so much beter.So when a person makes a comment about Micro i tell them whats the problem?It means small head.There is a little girl with Micro in an orphanage far away.I dream about this sweet baby and wish with SOME miracle we could bring her home.I pray for her i go look at her picture it tears me up dreaming and wishing she could be our daughter.
Special needs children.....alot of people say we are nuts we have Landen and now Jaxson will be joining our family soon he is also special needs with cerebral palsey people say things like you will have your hands full YES will and i will LOVE everyminute of it.I would NOT change a thing parenting my special needs babies...It will be a challenge having two of them yes.But so so worth everybit of that challenge.The unconditional love they give even if they cant verbalize it its there,The smile Landen gives and the way he loves life.Jax i know will be the same.Could i make room for another child with special needs?YES whats another.Can i afford to adopt again?NO But if by some miracle we could raise money to bring a certain little girl home I WOULD IN HEART BEAT.The life lessons i have learned from my son amazes me.I get asked alot of dumb questions from people about Landen.
What makes me the maddest is when someone says...Oh how good of you to SAVE a child with special needs?SAVE?no i didnt save him i became a mom a mom to a child who has so much to offer the world and so much more he can share with others.My babies have a place in this world too!Right here with their family where they are loved and cherished and praised upon for every thing they learn new .

No comments: